Monday, May 11, 2009

A Few Random Thoughts After Being Pissed on by Wii Fit

No disrespect to that software geniuses who invented the Nintendo Wii or Wii Fit, in particular; however, my Wii Fit experience is off to a very inauspicious start.

The box was just cracked open today, one day after my wife received Wii Fit as a Mothers' Day gift from my mom. Today's task was simply to get started, setting up profiles for my wife and myself. Now I'm not at all the one who's vigilant about getting started on this. Within the last year, I've dropped almost 20 pounds to get down to my desired Super Welterweight/Middleweight frame in the low 150s. Standing a mere 5'6", I tend to think I do okay for myself. Apparently, Wii Fit doesn't agree.

After simply standing on this board for a few seconds and performing a couple of balancing tests, I was told my fitness level was ideal for a 36-year-old. The fucking audacity. No offense to those of age 36, but that's four years older than I am. I'll be damned to stand around and have someone - even a damn machine - tell me I'm not in good shape for according to my years.

I do some strength and resistance training several days a week, and I probably jog a total of 10-15 miles peer week. Is that good for nothing?

Pricks.

The glory in being wrong. So I was only 30 points off in my prediction yesterday of Game 4 of the NBA Western Conference semifinals. Rather than the 18-point Lakers' victory that I projected, it was the Rockets who cruised to a 12-point win (and it wasn't nearly that close). But I have no problem being so far off on this one. First of all, who didn't think the Lakers would win? Secondly, who really wouldn't want this series to stretch as long as possible. I find it ridiculous to think that Houston can win another game in L.A., but I can keep my fingers crossed that Artest will be ready to pop one of the Lakers into the first row at some point in the next few days.

Confession: I actually want the Lakers to win. Those who know me well can tell you that two of my least favorite things in life are hype and populism. (Guess who I didn't vote for in the Presidential Election last November?) That's why it's highly improbable to think that I'd actually be pulling for the much-desired Lakers-Cavs matchup in the NBA Finals. I'm sorry, though, I just think it's something I need to see. The Lakers are the best team in the West, the Cavs are the best in the East; Kobe's the best player in the West, LeBron is the best player in the East. Let's get this done. It's good for the league, good for basketball in general, good for TV, and it's good enough for me. Just this once, I'm buying the hype and I'm voting with the masses.

My wife is right about this kid shit. My wife runs a daycare out of our home, at its peak with as many as eight children under our small roof. This is personally significant to me in many ways, but perhaps none moreso than on days like today, when I stay home from work. My wonderful 16-month-old son, Lukas, rolled over this morning with a temperature of 103. Rather than closing the daycare, inconveniencing the other parents and forcing my wife to burn one of her contracted sick days, I volunteered to stay home and quarantine myself with the sick child. That decision was made over 12 hours ago, and I'm officially ready to get out of the fucking house. My only fresh air salvation today has been a 10-minute walk with my dog, and I'm just about ready for a 10-hour trip to my favorite watering hole.

She's right, this stuff isn't easy. Much respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment