Thursday, August 27, 2009

AC0063100

The sign beyond Wrigley Field’s rightfield bleachers says it all. If you know what it means. It’s basically a representation of the Chicago Cubs’ long-term futility.

The first two numbers show how long it’s been since the Cubs have won their division. No problem there. As the two-time defending NL Central Champion, that number sits at a nice double-zero. The issue is with the remaining numbers. 63 seasons have passed since a National League title, hence the 63. And the last three digits, well, it’s only been a three-digit number since last fall. The 100 is the nice round number that indicates the length of the Cubs’ World Series title drought.

It’s a harsh reminder every time it’s visible, which is quite often when you watch as much Cubs baseball as I do. And I’m now starting to try to cope with the reality that those numbers posted on the Lakeview apartment building/rooftop suites are about to change for the worse.

With 38 games remaining in the season, the Cubs have to be considered baseball’s biggest disappointment in 2009. Just one game over .500, the Cubs are nine games behind the rival Cardinals, who again seem to be overachieving. It’s worth noting also that the Cubs and Cards play only three more games against one another, the other 13 head-to-head meetings all taking place before the All-Star break (if my memory is correct – and it usually is in these cases – the Cardinals lead the season series 8-5).

So here’s the reality I’m faced with: If St. Louis were to somehow split its remaining 34 games, the Cubs would basically still need to play .700 baseball to get past those cocksuckers in the standings. Let’s say the Cardinals go 17-17 the rest of the way. The Cubs will need to go 28-10 just to force a tie and a one-game playoff for the division crown.

Needless to say, I’m not holding my breath (as evidenced by all of the profanity that I spray around my house during the games).

Optimism just isn’t my thing. But I can’t help but go back to the “on paper” argument. For shit’s sake, the Cubs should be a better team. They should be the ones who are 74-54 right now. I challenge anyone to look the Cubs’ and Cardinals’ rosters up and down – starting lineup, benches, starting pitching rotations and bullpens – and tell me that the Cubs aren’t the more impressive team. It’s just bullshit, and I’m fucking tired of it.

On the MLB Network’s 2009 Prediction Special at the start of the season, all nine of its panelists picked the Cubs to win the NL Central. Consistent with the consensus selection of the Cubs as the division champs, Tom Verducci said the Cubs should be the surest bet of any division winner in the league. Ever the pessimist, I couldn’t help but think that just sounded to good to be true.

I’m not into the talk of curses and all that noise, but something has to give one of these days.

AC0164101?

That looks fucking terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment