Saturday, August 1, 2009

"How Do You Ride a Disco Stick?"

I never have been and never will be hip to the club scene, but I feel pretty confident in thinking that there's really no such object as a 'disco stick' when it comes to the dance floor, the DJ booth or the other areas that define the club scene. But consider this lyric:

Let's have some fun, this beat is sick;
I wanna take a ride on your disco stick.

There's only one way I can interpret this, especially when the lyric is pulled from a song entitled 'Lovegame' and when the artist looks like this.


Now try explaining it to an eight-year-old. That was what I was faced with this week as I allowed the TV to stay on Time Warner's 'Hit List' music channel while we ate dinner.

Question #1 from my stepson: "What's a disco stick?" I had no clue what the hell he was talking about until I listened to the song and heard the lyric. Yeah, maybe my mind just raced to the fucking gutter, but I can't think of any other way to interpret that. After I played dumb, Dominic came to the conclusion that it must be just like one of those shiny disco balls that hangs over the dance floor. Sure, sounds good to me.

Question #2: "But how do you ride a disco stick?" Can anyone answer that?

Other quotes of the week from my world:

"Send 'em all to fucking jail." This one came from my boss over lunch Friday. Being the lone female at the table, I hardly expected this kind of passionate interjection as the three men discussed the latest leak of 2003 steriod users in baseball. Rightfully, her comment was directed toward those who leaked the names of the offenders. I agree that there needs to be some serious accountability for this. Yes, the likes of A-Rod, Manny and Ortiz should be scorned for their use of performance enhancers, but those tests in '03 were part of an anonymous survey. The results should have been destroyed after they'd been tallied, and there NEVER should have been names attached to them. It really shouldn't be too difficult.

"Look at your nickels!" This is courtesy of my three-year-old boy, Joey. Proving that context is key to interpreting anything a child says, Joey said this as his 19-month-old brother ran around temporarily shirtless. Yes, 'nickels' are in fact nipples in our house.

Needless to say, it can be a riotous time in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment