Monday, June 29, 2009

Hoping for a Much Better Week

Who knows what to expect?

After a relatively shitty week of work last week, and after getting humiliated yet again in our own recreational basketball league, the week wrapped up with some awful news on the sports front.

First, one of my favorite football players was signed by one of my least favorite teams. The upside, if any: Mike Brown will be playing in my current hometown. But now I'm stuck with an out-of-date Bears jersey. My navy #30 was a staple on most Sundays. Of course, with Alex Brown still on the Bears -- and since my jersey doesn't have the first initial -- Maybe I could just find a way to change mine to a 96. Not likely though. Time to seek an alternative. (And, no, it's not going to be Cutler.)

I'll hope for the best for Brown, although it will be tough to want him to win while he's playing with the Chiefs. Of course, as I found out a couple days later, it could be a lot worse ...

I've often described the St. Louis Cardinals as my least favorite team in any sport at any level. I don't think I could make it any more clear than that. So this weekend when the Cardinals acquired one of my favorite players - a recent Cubs' castaway - I can safely say that I was nothing short of fucking furious. Mark DeRosa is a Mr. Everything. In his two years with the Cubs, DeRosa played almost every position, and he was not a defensive liability at any of them. Oh, and he hit. That's something the Cubs could use right about now at just about any position.

Playing for the last-place Indians, DeRosa has driven in more runs this year than any Cub. Now I'll have to watch DeRosa in the middle of the most hated lineup in my world.

What's next? Brian Urlacher to the Packers? Deron Williams to the Lakers? Perhaps nothing is off limits now.

No comments:

Post a Comment